The Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. is organized for the purpose of performing a public service to the Jewish community of Northeast Ohio and shall:
- Provide the Jewish community of Northeast Ohio with a quality weekly newspaper which will fully present local, national and world news of Jewish interest.
- Offer commentary, interpretation and background on events of the day, as a means of stimulating the concern and response vital to the fulfillment of our responsibilities as Americans and Jews.
- Enrich the cultural life both of individuals and the community through the presentation of features, articles, reviews and other material of Jewish content and interest.
- Provide a variety of forms of communication to enable members of the community to express their viewpoints on matters of Jewish interest. The Company may also provide the Jewish community of Northeast Ohio with other communications vehicles (e.g. website, magazines and community events) that further the Company’s mission.
The Company is not affiliated with any one program, organization, movement, or point of view within Jewish life, but expects to give expression to all phases of that life. The Company is completely independent. It is committed to the progress and continuity of Jewish life and to the democratic traditions which have made our country a blessed land.
-- Preamble to the Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. By-laws, amended 12/15/05
The Cleveland Jewish News is the only independent source of Jewish news and commentary serving Northeast Ohio. It was formed in 1964 as an independent successor of two privately owned Jewish newspapers in Cleveland: The Jewish Review & Observer and the Jewish Independent.
The Jewish Review & Observer dated to the founding in July 1889 of Cleveland¹s first Jewish newspaper, the Hebrew Observer, by Hiram Strauss and Sam Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer teamed with Jack Machol in 1893 to start the Jewish Review, which was purchased in 1896 by Dan S. Wertheimer. In 1899, Wertheimer merged both weeklies into the Jewish Review & Observer, which the family controlled for the next 65 years.
The Jewish Independent, established in March 1906, became another family enterprise when Maurice Weidenthal of The Plain Dealer became editor several weeks later. Circulation approached 20,000 by 1917, when Weidenthal died and was succeeded by his brother Leo. Leo Weidenthal guided the Jewish Independent for 47 years. His retirement in 1964 served as the catalyst for a reorganization of Cleveland¹s Jewish press by a civic group incorporated as the Cleveland Jewish Publication Co.
A group of 29 business, professional and communal leaders in Cleveland¹s Jewish community, headed by Lloyd S. Schwenger, arranged for a credit line of $155,000 to secure the assets of the two papers. They created an independent publication that is now held in trust for the Cleveland Jewish community and governed by its own board of directors. The Jewish Community Federation helped support the CJN initially, until it established itself as financially independent.
Under the editorship of Arthur Weyne, the Cleveland Jewish News debuted as a 32-page tabloid-sized newspaper on October 30, 1964.
CJN leadership over the years
|Arthur Weyne (1964-1970)||Robert O. Buzbee (1966-1979)|
|Jerry D. Barach (1970-1980)||Chas S. Elinsky (1979-1982)|
|Cynthia Dettelbach (1980-2009)||Peter Bloomfield (1983-1985)|
|Michael E. Bennett (2009-2012)||Harry Scharf (1985-1996)|
| ||Jane P. Edelstein (1996-1998)|
|Publishers:||Robert B. Certner (1998-2009)|
|Michael E. Bennett (2007-2012)||Kevin S. Adelstein (2013-present)|
|Kevin S. Adelstein (2013-present)|| |
The newspaper's offices started on Payne Avenue before moving to the Cedar Center shopping area of University Heights, where it remained for nearly 20 years. In 1989, the paper moved to 3645 Warrensville Center Road in Shaker Heights, near Chagrin Boulevard. In October 2002, the CJN moved to its current location at 23880 Commerce Park, Beachwood.
The CJN remains the best way to learn about people, activities, lifecycle events and Jewish institutions and organizations. It also provides thoughtful analysis and perspective on what is happening here, in Israel, and around the world. The company now publishes:
- The weekly newspaper.
- A website, - www.cjn.org
- Jstyle, with features on fashion, food, lifestyles and more.
- WEDDINGS, an annual guide to helping the bride to be (and their parents) plan for the big day.
- The SOURCE: Annual Guide to Jewish Living in Northeast Ohio, a directory with comprehensive, useful listings to help readers connect with organizations, agencies and businesses.
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah, a biannual magazine focused on making the occasion meaningful and festive.
CJN publications have an average print distribution of 8,000 copies and reach more than 45,000 readers in Greater Cleveland. In addition to paid home delivery, the paper is available in libraries and institutions, and single copies are sold at more than 70 newsstands. In 2012, the CJN launched a digital edition of the paper, which can be viewed on any mobile deviceand is available on Thursday, a day earlier than the print subscription.
In June 2010, the Cleveland Jewish News Foundation launched the CJN Archive: a searchable online database of the complete collection of the Cleveland Jewish News, which has been published weekly since 1964. Each week, the newest CJN is added to the archive, creating an ongoing and ever-expanding digital repository of the newspaper of record of Northeast Ohio’s Jewish community. The archive ensures that the local Jewish community and public in general, wherever they are, can capture and remember events and people that shaped Jewish history. Before its creation, past CJN editions were available only on more than 200,000 pages of newsprint in large, heavy, bound volumes or on microfilm reels, to which access is limited. The archive is accessible to CJN subscribers for a nominal yearly fee.
In 2008, the Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. launched LinQ2 Communications, a custom media division that partners with businesses and organizations to meet communications needs. Two of LinQ2’s signature publications, Balanced Living and Museums and Galleries of Ohio and Beyond, are found on newsstands and at various locations throughout Ohio. In 2014 the company reverted to using Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. or CJPC as the name of the publishing group. In 2014, Museums and Galleries of Ohio and Beyond became Canvas and in 2015 Balanced Living was rebranded Balanced Family with a new focus. In addition, this growing business has partnered with many local organizations to provide custom solutions including:
- The Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage
- Cleveland State University Theatre Arts Program
- Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio
- Park Synagogue
- The Press Club of Cleveland
- Hillel at Kent State University
- Crocker Park Arts Festival
- Milestones Autism Organization
In 2011, the CJN and LinQ2 Communications launched an events division to meet the growing demand for high quality events to connect members of the community to each other. CJN and CJPC Events will be looked upon to keep readers and non-readers engaged with our products, create opportunities to network and fill information gaps. These events have included:
- Simchapalooza, the annual Bar/Bat Showcase in partnership with Sherri Foxman’s Party411
- Balanced Living Health and Wellness Event with the Cleveland Clinic at Legacy Village
- Cleveland Classic Mahjong Tournaments
- Ritz-Carlton Cleveland Wedding Event
- Mazel Mixers
With thanks to The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History for some of the CJN historical information.