The Samuel H. Miller Keeping Our Words Alive Digital Archive of the Cleveland Jewish News is the online, searchable database of the complete collection of the Cleveland Jewish News, which has been published weekly since October 1964. Each week, the newest CJN and its related magazines, such as Jstyle and the Bar/Bat Mitzvah magazine, are added to this unique digital repository. The CJN Foundation launched the archive in June 2010.
The archive ensures that the local Jewish community and public in general, wherever they are, can capture and remember events and people that shaped Jewish history. Before its creation, CJN editions were available only on more than 200,000 pages of newsprint in large, heavy, bound volumes or on microfilm reels, to which access is limited.
The archive is accessible to CJN print subscribers for a nominal yearly fee. Archive access can be purchased by non-subscribers for limited-time use.
The CJN Foundation is grateful to Jewish Federation of Cleveland’s Endowment Fund, the Cuyahoga County Public Library, and the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library for their significant financial support of the Archive’s creation.
In 2020, the CJN received a grant from the Samuel H. and Maria Miller Foundation and to honor the contribution, the CJN renamed its digital archive The Samuel H. Miller Keeping Our Words Alive Digital Archive of the Cleveland Jewish News.
Archive access is available with a digital subscription to the Cleveland Jewish News. Digital subscriptions coast only $10 for CJN print subscribers; or $24.95 without a print subscription. The subscription includes:
- Access to the CJN Archive.
- The CJN e-Edition, a facsimile of the printed paper available on Thursdays on your computer, smartphone or tablet. No more waiting for Friday’s mail!
CLICK HERE TO ORDER TODAY or call 216-342-5185
Archive subscribers can:
- Discover stories of Clevelanders supporting Israel, observing holidays and building a stronger community, nation and world.
- Find family history with birth, wedding, anniversary and bar/bat mitzvah announcements and obituaries … A great resource for your next bar/bat mitzvah or wedding video!
- Read about merchants who advertised goods and services.
- Examine community response to seminal events such as the 1967 Six-Day War and more.
- Learn about community attitudes in letters to the editor, commentaries and analyses.
- Discover who and what makes news in Cleveland’s Jewish community.