The Cleveland Jewish Publication Company is a rapidly growing multimedia publication company seeking a dynamic, creative and innovative Lifestyles Magazine Editor to join our team.
The Lifestyles Editor of the Cleveland Jewish Publication Co. is responsible for the editorial direction and voice for the following CJPC publications: JStyle, JStyle Weddings, Source (annual guide to living in Jewish Cleveland and Jewish Columbus), Bar*Bat Mitzvah, CANVAS and Balanced Family. In addition, the Lifestyles Editor will have a voice/shared responsibility for each of the company’s digital and social media properties, including the award-winning CanvasCle.com. The Lifestyles Editor will have a strong vision for all aspects of city life – news, culture, arts, music, shopping, fashion, style, health & wellness, sports – with unique formats and lively storytelling. This is an opportunity for a highly creative editor to put their stamp on various growing publications that serve multiple audiences throughout Northeast Ohio and beyond.
The Lifestyles Editor will have editorial responsibility and editorial control over each of the publications. They will also write, as needed, and edit feature stories, cover stories, and contribute other content and ideas for the magazines. They will collaborate with the CJPC Design team and oversee the editorial assignment, direction and presentation of each issue. They will collaborate with the Managing Editor of the Cleveland Jewish News and Bureau Chief of the Columbus Jewish News prior to assigning content to internal staff reporters for each issue of each publication. They will also collaborate with the Digital team for producing relevant videos, multimedia and additional digital content that will be published to the magazine’s websites and social media channels, as well as a weekly CANVAS e-newsletter. They will hire freelance writers to contribute content to each issue as well.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Create and maintain editorial voice and direction of each publication
• Create and maintain an editorial calendar for each publication
• Collaborate with President and Controller to oversee budget creation of each issue
• Assign and manage content creation for each publication while staying within budget
• Select most appropriate staff reporters and freelancers for each publication’s issue
• Train new reporters and/or freelancers on style guidelines of each product
• Write and edit content for publications as necessary
• Manage the editorial revision process during each publication's production cycle including, but not limited to, checking all content for plagiarism, accuracy and AP style
• Continually monitor writer quality
• Suggest time and cost efficiencies as dictated by results
• Collaborate with the Digital Marketing Manager to maintain brand presence and awareness online and via social media, including incorporation of SEO
• Communicate content and editorial direction to sales team regularly to assist in identifying revenue opportunities for each publication
• Identify and execute current trends and areas of interest/opportunity in style, fashion, art, Jewish life and health and wellness
• Identify and execute best practices for recruiting and soliciting fashion models for each
applicable fashion publication (i.e. JStyle Singles Issue, Jstyle Weddings, Jstyle)
• Others as assigned
• Exceptional writing and editing skills
• Art enthusiast with an eye and sense for current artistic trends and styles
• An eye and sense for current fashion styles and trends
• Problem solving, quality focus, general consulting and team building skills, project management, process improvement and implementation, client relationships, reporting skills
• High level of professionalism and diplomacy
• Familiarity and experience working with Adobe suite of products, including InCopy and InDesign preferred
• Knowledge of online editorial and social media best practices, including optimizing content for CTR and engagement a plus
• The ideal candidate will have a passion for art, fashion and style and have an understanding of Jewish Cleveland. You will work well under pressure and deadlines. You will have a knowledge of the fashion and beauty space, be a clever and careful writer, and dialed into the arts community. This position will be based in Beachwood, OH and will report to the President of the company.
• Experience with social publishing and reporting tools; experience with newsrooms, production environments and live coverage a plus
• All candidates must be highly motivated, strong writers and editors
• We desire a team player. Someone who is resourceful, exhibits a can-do spirit and the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast pace/multi-priority environment and who possesses a positive work ethic. They should be results driven, an effective communicator, highly organized and enjoy working in a thriving team environment.
• Degree from 4-year college or university and/or 3-5 years related work experience required
We offer an excellent compensation package, including a competitive salary, paid time off for PTO, national holidays and select Jewish holidays; 401(k) savings and company match with 100% vesting; medical, dental, vision insurance and more. Because we pride ourselves on a healthy, fun and rewarding work environment, our optional “every-other Friday off” work schedule provides work-life balance encouragement for our team. At the CJPC, your weekend starts at 4 p.m. on Friday when our week ends.
If you exhibit these and other skills and have a proven track record for winning, then we encourage you to submit your résumé and three to four samples of your work to email@example.com.
Cleveland Jewish Publication Company is an equal opportunity employer.