Two persons of interest in the death of a Beachwood doctor who were at the center of a 12-hour weekend standoff with authorities have been identified as the physician’s two sons.

Mark Warn, 29, and Michael Warn, 31, were found dead in the early morning hours of Aug. 11 inside a South Euclid home at 4362 Elmwood Ave., where police and Eastside Departments Group Enforcement SWAT officers sought to execute a search warrant related to their investigation into the death of Dr. Richard Warn.

The causes of death for Mark and Michael Warn, who were Richard Warn’s sons from his first marriage, were ruled as suicides by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office. Michael Warn was ruled to have died from a "intraoral gunshot wound" and Mark Warn died from a "gunshot wound to the head," according to a report from the medical examiner.

Richard Warn, 59, was found shot to death at about 6:08 p.m. Aug. 9 at this Brentwood Road home when Beachwood police performed a wellness check. The case is being investigated as a suspected homicide.

Beachwood Police Chief Gary Haba confirmed Mark and Michael Warn were the two found in the home but could not confirm whether they were suspects in their father’s death.

Haba also confirmed the department’s investigation into Warn’s death led them to the South Euclid home, which Warn owned. Haba said the police didn’t have arrest warrants, only a search warrant for the home, and asked SWAT to help execute the warrant due to the circumstances of the investigation.

When the SWAT team began to breach the front door using an armored vehicle at about 7:30 p.m. Aug. 10, the officers were shot at by someone in the house with a rifle and forced to retreat. Haba said officers attempted to communicate with whomever was in the house but were unable to. They eventually learned during the standoff that the two suspects were dead.

South Euclid police said the investigation was taken over by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and declined further comment.

Ohio BCI confirmed it is handling the investigation but declined further comment.

Beachwood police performed a welfare check at Richard Warn’s home following a 911 call placed by his wife, Jane. There was no sign of forced entry, but Beachwood police suspected foul play. The medical examiner’s office listed Warn’s cause of death as “multiple gunshot wounds.”

According to a 911 call released by Beachwood police, Jane Warn had returned from vacation and did not have her key to the house. She was concerned her husband had not answered when she knocked at the door.

Richard Warn was a podiatrist with offices in Shaker Heights and Hudson. He also has a daughter, Danielle Besterman.

The last homicide in Beachwood was in 1994, Haba said.

How do you feel about this article?

Choose from the options below.


Recommended for you